Do you know what a battle ready action figure is? It’s just what it sounds like. It’s an action figure that’s ready to fight battles.
First, let’s get something straight! A doll is not an action figure, and an action figure is not a doll. C’mon parents, how many times has your kid reminded you of this truth!
Dolls vs Action Figures
- Dolls carry combs and mirrors. Battle ready action figures carry weapons of warfare!
- Dolls pluck and tweeze their eyebrows. Battle ready action figures shave with a machete!
- Dolls get mani-pedis at the spa. Battle ready action figures don’t care if they break a nail (or a tooth)!
- Dolls consider fitness fashionable. Battle ready action figures muscles’ have muscles (and working out is a survival skill!)!
- Dolls scream when they see bugs. Battle ready action figures raise a battle cry when they attack!
Now chances are in your everyday life, you’re more like a doll than a battle ready action figure. That’s okay, so am I. The closest I’ve ever come to shaving with a machete is shaving with a razor with a dull blade and no shaving cream. The good news is even though you may be a doll in your day to day life, you can be a battle ready Christian.
Are you a battle ready Christian? You’re in the middle of a war zone, so I hope you’re battle ready. If you don’t think you are, know that Christ equipped you with everything you need to become battle ready.
In Ephesians 6:10-18, Paul talks about putting on the full armor of God. He begins with the word, “Finally,” which always sums up an argument or line of reasoning. In this case, you need to go back to the fourth chapter to read the beginning of Paul’s line of reasoning.
17 So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking.
18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.
19 Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed.
20 That, however, is not the way of life you learned
21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus.
22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires;
23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds;
24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
Paul tells his audience not to walk in the futility of their their thinking. They need to identify and overcome the futility of their thinking.
Identifying the Futility of Your Thinking
- Your understanding is darkened (V. 18)
- You are alienated from the life of God (V. 18)
- You are ignorant (V. 18)
- You have hardened your heart (V. 18)
- You’ve lost all sensitivity (V. 19)
- You gave yourself over to all sensuality (V. 19)
- You indulge every kind of impurity (V. 19)
- You are full of greed (V. 19)
- Your old self is being corrupted by deceitful lusts (V. 22)
Overcoming the Futility of Your Thinking
- Put off your old self (V. 22)
- Be made new in the attitude of your mind (V. 23)
- Put on your new self (V. 24)
In Ephesians 6, before Paul talks about the Armor of God, he says, “Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might” (Eph. 6:10). He’s telling them that before they put on the full armor of God they need to be battle ready. They needed to put off their old self. They need to be made new in the attitude of their mind. And they need to put on their new self.
Are you battle ready? Have you put off your old self? Are you renewing the attitude of your mind? Are putting on your new self? What’s holding you back? Become battle ready! Before a soldier goes into battle, they are trained to be mentally prepared.
Training to Be a Battle Ready Christian
- Find and get involved in a good church
- Get on your knees and pray
- Study the word of God
- Memorize scripture
There is so much more I could say on the topic, and I welcome discussion in the comments below. I guarantee you the more you do these things, and make them part of your daily and weekly preparation in Christ, the more battle ready you will become. Come back next week. You won’t want to miss it. I’m going to keep writing about Becoming a Battle Ready Christian.