Guess what! God still speaks! And He is speaking to you. You just have to learn to listen to Him. Though, in order to hear Him, you need to be faithful to listen to Him.
Prayer isn’t about sitting on God’s knee and just telling Him want we want. We want to make our requests known to God (Phil. 4:6), but that is only one aspect of prayer.
He wants to have a conversation with you. He wants to have an intimate relationship with you. He is speaking to you.
Listening to God through Prayer
So, how do we learn to listen to God? Here are some tips.
- Choose a specific time and place to meet with God
- Make sure it’s a quiet place and quiet time
- Play quiet worship music like Jesus Culture, Kari Jobe, and Bethel Music
- Play worship music throughout the day
- Read scripture and meditate on it
- Study and memorize scripture
- Don’t limit God’s voice to just your prayer time
- Go to church (God speaks through faithful leaders)
- Read authors like C.S. Lewis, Gordon McDonald, Jurgen Matthessius, and John and Lisa Bevere
- Listen to podcasts of Christian leaders like Francis Chan, Jefferson Bethke, and John Piper.
Learning to listen to God isn’t just about a quiet time with God. It’s about creating an atmosphere of worship, where God is welcome and we are available all of the time.
When I first realized I could listen to God, I thought hearing from God meant sitting in a quiet place in silence for long periods of time until I heard this big, booming voice. I would pray, and then I would sit and wait for God to speak. Sometimes, I would hear God within a few minutes, and sometimes I wouldn’t hear him for almost an hour.
Though, I realized it wasn’t God who wasn’t speaking to me, it was me who wasn’t listening to God. Let me explain. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to listen to God. It’s that there were too many distractions. I was too preoccupied.
Intimacy with God through Prayer
As I matured in my walk with God, I realized hearing from God was about cutting out those things that distracted me. That meant everything from choosing an hour that I could spend with God to constantly listening to praise and worship music to getting rid of my television and any other distractions.
Developing an intimate relationship with God means entering the solitude of the presence of God, abiding in His presence, and allowing His presence to become our reality.
What are your tips to listening to God? Share them in the comments.